Welcome to the blog of a happy retired person. I have been blessed with two children and many friends. Hope this page helps you keep up with me as I explore the vast wonderful land of sleeping in late and wearing my PJ's all day long!

About Me

My photo
Roy, Utah, United States
Life has been a real adventure. I have two sons that keep me busy and four Chihuahuas that keep me smiling. Whoops, got that backwards!

Moving to Oregon

Moving to Oregon

Thursday, November 6, 2008

DC Buildings and Statues

It has taken me a couple of days to really figure out how to use all of the programs to do my posts, but I think I have it down now. This post is about all of the buildings and statues that I saw in the limited area I was in in DC. All of the construction appears to be the same, however there was something different about each of them. I was really taken back by the size of the Office building next to the White house. Then there was a row of buildings that began with the Red Cross and continued down the street ending with the FDIC building. I photographed the first in a series of buildings that begins all of the Smithsonian Museums. But that is for the next trip to DC. I photographed the Capital Building but that will also have to be seen up close and personal during my next trip. I was totally amazed at the number of statues that there are in and around DC. There are statues to military heros, legislatures of note, and discoverers. One thing stood out with all of the statues though. The women were all displayed naked! The statues in Union Station were all of men, naked, until someone thought that they should be covered and shields were placed in front of them. Wow! Gender bias even in our nations statues! Remember, click on the Capital Building photo to watch the slide show and then back page to return to my blog.

No comments: