Welcome to the blog of a happy retired person. I have been blessed with two children and many friends. Hope this page helps you keep up with me as I explore the vast wonderful land of sleeping in late and wearing my PJ's all day long!

About Me

My photo
Roy, Utah, United States
Life has been a real adventure. I have two sons that keep me busy and four Chihuahuas that keep me smiling. Whoops, got that backwards!

Moving to Oregon

Moving to Oregon

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Forgotten War

Korea, the forgotten war. The design of the memorial depicts this theme. It is a haunting sight to see the memorial during the day time, however to experience the memorial you have to become a part of the memorial at night. There are no names on the memorial, just faces. As I stood looking at the wall of faces I felt as thought I was drifting into the wall myself. So many times in dreams I know that I have been here before, surrounded in the dark by faces without names. It was very difficult for me to walk through the memorial. The figures in the grass appeared ghostly and the faces were coming out of the wall for me. I found myself fighting my fear by taking pictures of the faces hoping that the camera will help them find their names.
Most of us have memories of the Korean War from a television series named MASH. The show was a comedy show with an underlying theme of how devastating the war was. The one episode that I will always remember was when the rules of war were revealed. Rule one, people die in war; rule two, rule one cannot be changed.
Death in war happens in two ways, physical and mental. Physical death leaves family and friends empty and missing someone that they love. Mental death leaves the person empty and missing the person that they were. Which one is worse? That is a question that cannot be answered by anyone except the person who has died.
Please click on the photo of the words "Freedom is not Free" to view my photos. Remember to back page to return to my blog.

No comments: